I've moved! New blog address.


My new website + blog is emilyneuburger.com.  Please visit me there!

If you have this site bookmarked in a blog reader, you'll want to switch to emilyneuburger.com.

Thanks, and see you in my new space!

xo emily

lemonade for everyone!


I discovered lemonade syrup two years ago when my family visited my Auntie Lynn's house for a summer party. It was a long drive, so when we arrived, we instantly slipped into her cool, bubbly not-so-hot tub where Chick lounged until her skin was wrinkly and raisin-like. We were sufficiently relaxed, feeling perfectly in love with our family, and lounging on couches, when out of of nowhere Auntie Lynn led me to a pot of syrupy, lemony joy and told us that we should help ourselves to a glass of cold lemonade. Just fill a glass with ice and water, add the right amount of lemonade syrup, and stir. Brilliant! I was hooked the moment I poured and swished.

I love lemonade, but I like it very diluted and very lemony, which is why this syrup is perfect. I add just enough to make it mildly sweet, and since the sugar is boiled with lemon rinds it is has a deep, lemon flavor. I've been making it every summer since. It can be packed nicely away in mason jars and stored in the refrigerator until the next lazy warm afternoon when only lemonade can quench your thirst.


Lemonade Syrup
adapted from The Joy of Cooking (I tweaked it a tiny, tiny bit)

Yield: about 2 1/2 cups of syrup
Ingredients: 1 c water, 2 c sugar, 7 lemons, 1/8 tsp salt

1. Place 2 cups of sugar , 1 cup water, thinly sliced rinds of 2 lemons, and 1/8 tsp of salt into a pot.
2. Simmer for 7 minutes.
3. Cool and add the juice of 7 lemons.
4. Strain and then add half of the rinds to the syrup for flavor and color.
5. Store in a jar and place in the refrigerator.
6. Add a little bit to a glass of ice water.
7. Sip, kick back, and enjoy.

So, so, so good.

xo e